Professional Responsibility and Ethics
DiMuroGinsberg assists attorneys and law firms with issues related to professional liability and ethics, including legal malpractice claims. Our firm counsels and consults other lawyers and firms on topics such as ethical advertising of legal services, conflicts of interest, and multijurisdictional practice.
DiMuroGinsberg’s professional liability practice is led by Ben DiMuro. Mr. DiMuro served on the Virginia State Bar’s Committee to Study the Code of Professional Responsibility, which was responsible for adopting a revised code of ethics for Virginia lawyers in 2000 known as The Virginia Rules of Professional Conduct (“The Virginia Rules”). Mr. DiMuro also served as Chairman of the Virginia State Bar Disciplinary Board and teaches Continuing Legal Education courses on ethics. In addition, Mr. DiMuro has testified as an expert witness in the areas of professional liability and ethics in past trials.
If you or your firm would like advice or representation, please do not hesitate to contact our firm for more information about our professional responsibility and ethics services.
Legal malpractice and other issues
The firm has experience addressing many of the topics covered by professional liability and ethics:
- Legal Malpractice: counseling and defending lawyers in legal malpractice claims related to areas such as civil litigation or family law.
- Advertising, Public Communications and Solicitation: avoiding false and misleading statements and complying with rules that apply to the internet.
- Unauthorized Practice of Law: counseling law firms opening offices or hiring attorneys not licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia on the nuances of Virginia State Bar rules.
- Multidisciplinary and Multijurisdictional Practices: counseling law firms on the specific rules for the Commonwealth of Virginia regarding the issues surrounding multi-disciplinary practices and defending lawyers and their firms against charges of unauthorized practice of law.
- Conflicts of Interest: identifying conflict of interest scenarios and determining the appropriate steps required of the lawyer in order to avoid a violation of the Virginia disciplinary system.
- Law Firm Governance: assessing organizational options, preparing the necessary incorporation or partnership agreements, and defending law firms when their agreements are challenged or the firm dissolves contentiously.
- Admission by Motion to the Virginia State Bar: counseling and assisting attorneys who apply by motion for Virginia State Bar admission.
- Professional Responsibility and Disciplinary Matters: representing and counseling lawyers and firms during investigations and disciplinary proceedings.
For a professional responsibility lawyer or ethics lawyer in Virginia, please contact our firm at 703-684-4333.