Sara M. Sakagami focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation and white collar criminal defense. She represents private business clients on both sides of the docket in commercial contract and business disputes and business torts. She also advises employers on employment related disputes, including defending Title VII discrimination complaints.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Sakagami interned with the Office of the Public Defender for the City of Alexandria where she tried criminal cases in Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court and participated in Circuit Court trials. She also clerked for the Honorable Edward H. Hanson and the Honorable H. Thomas Padrick of the Circuit Court for the City of Virginia Beach.
Ms. Sakagami is an active member of various local and national bar associations. She currently serves these organizations in a variety of roles including the Chair of Judicial Screening Committee for the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Virginia, and Director of Communications for the Virginia Women Attorneys Association, Northern Virginia Chapter.
- Board Member and Co-Chair, Judicial Screening Committee, Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Virginia (2009 to Present)
- Board Member and Director of Communications, Virginia Women Attorneys Association, Northern Virginia Chapter (2013 to Present)
- Co-Chair, CLE Sub-Committee, Solo/Small Firm Committee, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (2014)
- Successfully defended criminal securities fraud prosecutions involving PIPE transactions in Eastern District of New York.
- Obtained sentencing at 80% below the recommended guidelines in a highly publicized mortgage fraud case in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Successfully represented a trade association in protection of its copyrighted software
- Obtained favorable settlement in a commercial landlord-tenant dispute against one of the largest telecommunication providers in the country.
Honors & Awards:
- “Rising Star,” Virginia SuperLawyers (2013 – 2016)
- “Rising Star,” District of Columbia SuperLawyers (2014 – 2016)
Publications & Lectures:
- Co-author, Virginia Employment Law Letter, BLR
- Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Criminal Defense
- District of Columbia
- J.D., Washington and Lee University School of Law, 2006
- B.S, University of California, San Diego, 2002