Harvey B. Cohen is a trial lawyer who represents a wide range of clients in complex civil litigation matters in state and federal court. For more than 40 years, Mr. Cohen has handled business disputes including securities, sophisticated business transactions, contract, employment, professional malpractice, insurance coverage and bankruptcy litigation. Mr. Cohen serves as local Virginia counsel to national law firms on major securities litigation and his practice also includes a broad spectrum of personal injury matters.
Before joining DiMuroGinsberg, Mr. Cohen held the positions of Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia (1960-1961) and Counsel for the House of Representatives, Select Subcommittee on Labor (1961-1962). From 1954-1956, he served as a Captain in the U.S. Air Force. Mr. Cohen is past-President of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association and is a member of its Board of Governors.
- The Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Past President
- American Judicature Society
- Arlington County Bar Association
- Fairfax County Bar Association
- Alexandria Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Federal Bar Association: Member, Virginia Chapter
- Judicial Conference of the U.S. 4th Circuit, Permanent Member
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Virginia State Bar Association
- Successfully defended national insurance company, obtaining a reversal in the Virginia Supreme Court of a multi-million dollar judgment and reversal of Virginia State Corporation injunction.
- Obtained six-figure settlement on behalf of national lobbying firm against law firm for legal malpractice in Federal Court and mediation.
- Obtained substantial settlement against national/international tobacco company on patent infringement claims in Federal Court.
- Obtained billion dollar settlement following multiple suits litigating the Estate of Howard Hughes on behalf of beneficiaries.
- Successfully defended and settled, on behalf of major film studio, claim of copyright infringement in the Federal Court.
Honors & Awards:
- The Best Lawyers in America: Listed, 2005 – Present
- Richmond Magazine: Listed as a Virginia “Super Lawyer” in the area of general litigation law (2006)
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers Magazine: Listed as a Washington, D.C. “Super Lawyer” in the area of general litigation law (2007)
- Peer Review Rated AV “Preeminent Lawyers”
- Commercial & Business Litigation
- Business Torts
- Commercial Litigation
- Disputes Over Business Dispositions
- Financial Institution Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Contracts and Securities Litigation
- Products Liability
- Legal Malpractice Litigation
- Virginia and the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- L.L.M., Georgetown University Law Center, 1961
- L.L.B., Georgetown University Law Center, 1959
- A.B., University of Miami, 1952