C. Thomas Hicks, III has more than 35 years business practice experience in Northern Virginia. Mr. Hicks represents clients in all legal aspects of general business, contracts and transactions, including organization, management, reorganization, dissolution, acquisition, sale and merger of business entities; debt financing; venture capital and private equity financing; employment, executive compensation and wealth planning; estates and trusts; wealth preservation; and commercial real estate, among other areas.
Mr. Hicks’ clients include emerging technology companies and government contractors, as well as lending institutions and real estate development firms. His work with technology companies includes capital formation with venture capital financing and private placements of equity and debt, as well as providing assistance with technology transfers, joint ventures and service contracts. He has advised and assisted commercial real estate clients in all aspects of their real estate development legal needs, including acquisitions, finance, sales, leasing and land use. He has also represented lenders, builders and commercial real estate developers in loan workouts, restructuring and bankruptcy.
Mr. Hicks is a Preferred Advisor to The Association for Enterprise Growth, a non-profit organization that provides mid-market business owners, CEOs and their executive management teams with access to resources and best practices that incorporate growth and exit planning, including sale, merger, use of ESOPS and other succession planning. Mr. Hicks served in the United States Marine Corps Reserve, attaining the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
- General Counsel, Alexandria Chamber of Commerce (2012-present)
- Faculty Member, Virginia State Bar’s Harry L. Carrico Professionalism Course, 2009-2012
- Former co-chair Virginia Governor’s Venture Capital Roundtable (1999-2001)
- Board Member and General Counsel (1999 – 2001), Northern Virginia Technology Council
- General Counsel, Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts, 1998-2001.
- Board Member and President (1990), Northern Virginia Chapter, National Association of Industrial and Office Properties.
- Former Board Member, Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce
- Founder, First President and Former Board Member of the Virginia Association for Commercial Real Estate
- Former Executive Committee Member, Vice President, and General Counsel of the Northern Virginia Transportation Alliance
- Former Board Member of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Washington, D.C.
- Former General Counsel and Advisory Board Member of the Draper Atlantic Venture Fund
Honors & Awards:
- Best Lawyers in America (1995-2006, 2014-2016)
- “Legal Elite,” Virginia Business Magazine (2001)
- Phi Kappi Phi
- Tau Beta Pi
- Alpha Psi Omega
- Academic Scholarship Recipient, University of Georgia
- Phi Alpha Delta Scholarship Recipient (1968-1970) and Chapter President (1969-1970), University of Georgia.
- Recipient, First Prize, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Will Drafting Contest, among Georgia Law Schools, 1969.
- Awarded Navy Achievement Medal upon release from United States Marine Corps Active Duty
Publications & Lectures:
- Author: “Choosing a Virginia Business Entity,” a Virginia Practice Handbook, Virginia Law Foundation.
- Co-Author: “Limited Liability Companies in Virginia,” a Virginia Practice Handbook, Virginia Law Foundation.
- Frequent Speaker, Virginia Law Foundation Continuing Legal Education Programs, 1976-2002.
- Editor-in-Chief, Georgia Advocate, University of Georgia Law School, 1968-1970.
Print Thomas’s Profile
- Choice of Business Entity
- Corporations and Limited Liability Companies
- Professional Corporations and Limited Liability Companies
- Corporate Debt and Capital Finance
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance
- Estate and Succession Planning and Wealth Preservation
- Commercial Real Estate
- Commercial and Business Transactions
- Commercial Lending
- Executive Employment and Independent Contractors
- Creditor’s Rights, Workouts & Bankruptcy
- Joint Ventures and Teaming Agreements
- Technology Transactions and Licensing
- Venture Capital and Private Equity
- Georgia, 1970
- Virginia, 1975
- District of Columbia, 1981
- LL.M., Tax, Georgetown University, 1975
- J.D., University of Georgia, 1970
- B.S.C.E., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1967